This week we just got back from our trip out west. It was a wonderful trip but I’m usually processing emotions, doing errands, and dealing with laundry after long trips away. Planning the week out for supper plans I decided we were going to crockpot chicken tacos, which are amazing. Jeremy and I have been talking about the flour tortillas we generally will buy and the ingredient list is over 30 ingredients (no joke, I counted) not only that they last nearly 7 weeks for an expiration date which is absurd to me. So I decided to make flour tortillas again and honestly I forgot how easy and delicious they really are!
I generally reheat mine before eating tacos, by buttering a pan and then cooking tortilla again 30 seconds each side. We also have froze these tortillas and taken them out as needed! Just let them cool down completely and then place in a ziplock bag in the freezer!
I’ve tried my hand at many tortillas and last nights were just out of this world soft and perfect. Maybe my next challenge will be no buying tortillas for a year?! Because just like homemade bread, there’s nothing like homemade tortillas! I think we will give that a go!
- Rolling Pin
- bread board
- 3 cups all purpose flour (unbleached)
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- Mix dry ingredients into a bowl, pour water and oil in a cup and try to mix as well as possible.
- Pour wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and mix.
- knead dough out for 2-3 minutes until thoroughly mixed on a floured surface
- cut dough into 16 equal pieces and roll into balls
- cover let it rest 20 minutes
- roll each ball out about ⅛ inch thick
- butter a pan and lay rolled out tortilla on pan cooking about 30 seconds-1 minute each side. let it rest and cool down. Enjoy!