If you’re like me, I’m constantly struggling to make it through the mornings. Between a mental to-do list and kids constantly asking me for food at 6 am. Breakfasts can be a struggle. I’m a mom who doesnt fully wake up until about 2 hours after I wake and have had my coffee.
So… I’ve been looking for easy breakfasts that the kids can grab. Well, I think I found one that the kids loved making and where relatively easy to make. The best part? I put in sourdough discard so its tangy, healthier, and delicious, BUT you could completely omit this from the recipe and it would be fine! Yay!
There are actually a couple different toppings you could choose. I just chose a cream cheese icing because its what was in the fridge from our cinnamon rolls last week. But you can also do a cinnamon sugar crumble If you wanted to! I’ve done both and they both are delicious!
I’ve paired this with raw yogurt topped with granola and honey and the kids gobble up breakfast. Which lately I’ve been calling a win anytime my 3 year old eats something. (When did he become so picky!?)
I love that they are mini muffins so I can freeze the rest of them in a ziplock bag, and take them out to thaw as needed. This recipe made 32 muffins!
You absolutely can make a normal sized muffin! I would just raise the temp by 25 degrees (so 400) and raise the cook time by about 3-5 minutes.. just monitor them!
Mini blue berry muffins
- 1.5 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/3 cup butter
- 2/3 cup milk
- 3 tbs sourdough discard (optional
- 1/4 cup blueberries
Cream cheese topping
- 1 bar cream cheese
- 2 Tbsp milk
- 1-3 cups powder sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup all purpose
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- Combine flour, salt, sugar, and baking powder in a bowl
- mix egg, milk, softened butter, (sourdough discard if wanted) then pour flour mixture in until batter is combined. Fold in blueberries
- Spoon batter into prepared cupcake pans filling right to the top
- If you chose the crumb topping place that on top of batter
- If you have empty cupcake spots fill those with a little bit of water to prevent burning and give an even bake.
- Bake at 375 for 18 minutes (or until done.)
- If you chose the icing let muffins cool and lightly drizzle icing on top!